Butt Pack (WEB GEAR) or Backpack: (to be carried on person at all times)
- Canteens – 2- 1 quart water / Canteens with covers
- Canteen cup – 1 in each Canteen cover
- Leather work gloves
- Eye protection / Ear protection
- Rain gear ( Poncho can be used, however a rain suit is preferred )
- Camp knife – folding knife only
- Matches in waterproof case
- Notepad / pencil / pen
- ID / Drivers License / Money / Credit Card
- Bandage scissors / hemostat / stethoscope
- 1 MRE
- Skin protection (sunscreen)
- Insect repellant
- Hat / Handkerchief
- chap stick / tylenol / decongestants / etc.
- Total weight of all your equipment cannot exceed 70 lbs.
- Try to keep the number of packs of your equipment to the minimum (1). You should be able to carry them all at once for short distances.
- Military duffel bags are ideal. Vacation type luggage is acceptable, but discouraged.
- Label ALL your equipment with your name and address.
- Absolutely NO sterno, propane or compress gas containers should be in your gear. Military and all commercial aircraft prohibit it (chemical heaters are acceptable).
- It is possible that there will be no electrical outlets available. Electrically powered items are discouraged.
Duffel Bag or Luggage:
(Soft duffel bags are preferred over hard luggage!)
- Sleeping bag rated for expected weather
- Uniforms (2-5 changes of clothes)
- Weather dependent: Long pants, Long sleeved shirt, shorts, T-shirts, Team shirts, Jacket, hooded sweat-shirt
- Work or hiking boots that provide ankle support
- Sneakers / tennis shoes
- Trouser belt
- Long underwear (weather dependent)
- Insulated gloves (weather dependent)
- Swim wear (weather dependent)
- Mess kit / Camp cup / Eating utensils
- Spare batteries for flashlight
- Utility items: rubber bands, safety pins, needle and thread, extra buttons, duct tape, electrical tape, clothes line, etc.
- Soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, razor, cosmetics, hand mirror, personal hygiene items, etc.
- Zip lock bags (assorted sizes)
- Garbage bags
- Dirty laundry bag
- Small roll(s) of toilet paper
- (Optional items)
- Mosquito netting
- Water purification filter
- Radio / batteries
- Inflatable pillow
- Nylon hammock (equipment storage)
- Medications for personal use
- Reading materials / entertainment
- Shower shoes
- Consider packing each of your days worth of clothes in a separate ziplock back for easy retrieval of that days items.
- Pack all equipment in your pack in separate ziplock bags in case your pack is exposed to the weather. A dry pair of clothes is very nice to slip into after standing in the rain all day!
The following items are prohibited from being carried onboard military aircraft.
- Contents under pressure
- Camp Stove Fuel
- Lighter Fluid
- Insect Foggers
- Weapons – Knives over 4″, Firearms/ammo, Mace
- Blood Products
- Lithium Batteries
If any of these items need to be carried onboard, the Aircraft Load Master MUST be contacted and ONLY the Load Master can allow any of the above items onboard.
NDMS prohibits Weapons and Ammunition from being carried or taken on a deployment.